Rules for Use
Who can use Safety Escort?
Safety Escort is for everyone at IU. It's a misconception that only women can feel unsafe. If you're an IU student or employee and you don't feel safe walking home or to work, we're here for you. Request a ride through TapRide.
Pickups are limited to two people
We'll pick up one person, or two people who are going to the same place. A group of three or more people is considered safe for walking.
Five guidelines for requests and cancellations
We can't schedule rides in advance—we're sorry, but we need to be available for urgent needs as they happen.
1. Request a ride when you're ready to be picked up
Safety Escort operates on a request-by-request basis. Please be ready before you request a ride.
2. Don't wait until the end of the night to request service
If you're ready to be picked up, request your ride now. We have a big influx of requests at the end of the night, and we often have to stop taking requests as early as a half hour before our operating hours end, to be sure we have capacity for the rides that have already been requested.
3. Wait at least 30 minutes between scheduling rides
Every rider is entitled to two ride requests per night. In order to serve all riders fairly, we ask that you wait 30 minutes between your first dropoff and your second ride request.
4. Stay near your smartphone or computer until we arrive
You won't miss us, and vice versa, if you stay near your smartphone—we'll notify you when we arrive. If you requested service through the mobile site, please stay near your computer.
5. If you don't need your service, cancel it through TapRide right away
Cancel your service as soon as you don't need it, so other riders can use the time it takes us to drive to your location. Riders get a grace period of two minutes when we arrive. Failing to give us enough notice when you cancel—or not entering the van within the grace period—may result in a service suspension.
Call us at 812-855-SAFE
If you're having trouble with TapRide, your van is late, or you have a question about your service, call us at 812-855-7233. If your question isn't urgent, email us at email@example.com.
How will I know it's a Safety Escort vehicle?
Look for a white or silver minivan with a black IU trident symbol on the door. We typically turn the blinking hazard lights on when we park. If we change our vehicle lineup, we'll let you know through Twitter and Facebook. Watch your smartphone or computer—we'll notify you when we arrive.
Where we make dropoffs
Safety Escort operates within Bloomington city limits. Every rider can request up to two rides per night. We'll take you home, or to work (please have proof of employment, such as a uniform, name tag, or work ID). We don't take you to parties or bars, but we will pick you up from them—whether you're sober or intoxicated—no questions asked. If you request a ride to a party or a bar, we may suspend your service—we're sorry, but keeping you safe is what we're all about.
Pickup location at the Wells Library
If you're requesting service from the Herman B Wells Library, we'll pick you up in the parking lot, which is on the south side of the library.See on Google Maps where to wait
If you're not sure you're in the right place for a pickup, call us at 812-855-7233.
Service rule violations: Don't get suspended
We have to treat service violations seriously—it's a resource issue and a safety issue.
- Late cancellations: If you cancel your ride within five minutes of the ETA (estimated time of arrival), you'll be suspended from Safety Escort service for two days. Five offenses will result in suspension of service for the remainder of the semester.
- No-shows: If you don't enter the van within five minutes of receiving our arrival notification, a warning will be issued. Two offenses will result in suspension from Safety Escort service for one week. Three offenses will result in suspension of service for the remainder of the school year.
- Requesting rides to bars or parties: Safety Escort will not take you to bars or parties. If you try to use the service this way, you'll be suspended from Safety Escort service for two weeks. Two offenses will result in suspension of service for the remainder of the school year.
Looking for night owls with good driving skills
Safety Escort is completely run by IU students, who are paid hourly. We love what we do, and we welcome you to join our team.Learn more about working for Safety Escort